Years from now, people will refer to this game as the Call of Duty that had a dog in it. “That was pretty cool”, they’ll say “that dog was a bad-ass”. And then you’ll reminisce, and remember how much fun you had, getting the one (or sometimes two) achievements specific to each campaign mission. How you spent your time finding the laptop collectible in each. And then how you spent all that time with a few other friends playing the new Extinction mode, killing aliens with maximum efficiency.
And a tear will fall from your cheek, and land on an open page of your Call of Duty scrapbook (which is now getting quite full). And the sun will rise over the hills, and you’ll resume playing the seventy eighth installment of the Call of Duty franchise, in preparation for the next to come.
Throughout the campaign as a whole there are 18 collectibles to find, and a final achievement awarded for completion on veteran difficulty.
Audiophile (15) Video
Collect all 18 Rorke files.
Rorke files take the form of an open laptop emitting a faint green glow. There is one to be found in each of the 18 campaign missions. You can check your progress in the pause menu or mission select screen. Three additional files will automatically unlock as you make progress collecting these.
- Ghost Stories After the space section you will resume control of Logan. Go outside and sprint forward until you can jump over a white car and enter a house on the right. The file is on the floor.
- Brave New World At the end of the mission you will walk with Elias through the command center. The file is on the top floor, on a desk before you exit to the balcony.
- No Man’s Land After entering the crash site, you will find the file on a desk in the first small building you must pass through.
- Struck Down There is a slow-motion breach just before you find Ajax. Turn to the left after the breach, it is on a shelf in the corner of this room.
- Homecoming At the beginning of the mission, follow Hesh to the command post but don’t go up the stairs. Instead, go into a room on the left. The file is sitting on a stack of sandbags.
- Legends Never Die Shortly after Rorke pulls you out of the flood you will knife a few enemies and then cross over to another building. There are two enemies around the corner, standing near the file.
- Federation Day After cutting a hole in the window and entering the building, go around to the left and enter a dark room. The file is on a desk to the right.
- Birds of Prey At the very end of the mission you will find Rorke. The file is sitting directly behind him on the desk. Upload it before the mission ends.
- The Hunted At the moment you regroup with your squad, look to your left. Follow the waterfall down and to the left, the file is sitting on a small rock near the end of the stream.
- Clockwork After entering the facility you will power down the lights, go through some metal detectors and up some stairs. The file is in a glass-walled office directly ahead of the stairs.
- Atlas Falls Partway through the mission you will enter a control room and press a button to turn off the pressure regulators. The file is in the small room to the right of the control panel.
- Into the Deep After destroying the ship and escaping the wreckage, you will regroup with Keegan behind some cover before engaging a group of enemies. The file will fall down from one of the boats passing above, and land on the ocean floor ahead of you and to the right.
- End of the Line In the large pressure-sealed room where you are asked to capture visual scans of the rods. Go down the first flight of stairs and hang left. The file is almost directly below the door you entered from.
- Sin City After fighting your way down the multi-level lobby Keegan will hold open a shutter for you. Crouch under and turn to the left. The file is on a coffee table near some couches.
- All or Nothing At the beginning of the mission you will be standing in a bunk room. Turn around and head to the set of well-lit bunks near a door that says “No Exit”. The file is behind a curtain on the lower right bed.
- Severed Ties After breaching the control room and launching the missile, Hesh will open a door for you. Head through and go down a hallway to the right. The file is in an office off to the left.
- Loki After the initial combat an explosion will toss you sideways. Go through the tunnel in front of you and find the tall, twisted solar panel on the left. The file slowly floats upward to the left side of the solar panel.
- The Ghost Killer The file is directly behind you as soon as you start the mission. It’s at the rear of a jeep and hidden by some boxes.
You’ve earned it (40)
Earn the mask. Finish the campaign on Veteran.
Play conservatively and be prepared to die. Use cover and minimize your exposure. Utilize the tools at your disposal, including your grenades, conveniently placed sniper rifles, and special bumper abilities. The “tactical” control layout can help you drop down prone at a moment’s notice! Rest assured this is not the most difficult campaign in CoD history (anyone remember CoD3?)
The majority of achievements are for specific tasks in particular missions in the campaign. Note that some missions have more than one.
Liberty Wall (10) Video
Take down both attack helicopters in Brave New World.
Mission 2. Keep the laser trained on the choppers, even if your missile misses on the initial pass. Hit the first chopper early before it flies away. The second chopper will take a few hits and may deploy flares. Hang out in the back near Riley.
Blimey O’Riley (10) Video
Pounce on 10 enemies whilst controlling Riley.
Mission 3. You are guided through the first four kills at the beginning of the mission. You must make the remaining six while controlling Riley after emerging from the highway tunnel. Stay to the right, stick to the grass and take out lone enemies from behind.
Waste Not (10) Video
Every shot with the remote sniper kills a person or vehicle.
Mission 4. You will take control of the remote sniper four separate times. Don’t rush, aim for center mass, and take out stationary targets. If you miss, reload the checkpoint immediately.
Go Ugly Early (10) Video
A-10 strafe 50 enemies.
Mission 5. You will make five short gun runs with the A-10’s in this mission, twice on the balcony near the start, and several more towards the end of the trenches. You should be able to get 50 kills by the second or third run without difficulty.
It Came from Below! (10) ] Video
Kill 6 enemies with the knife while underwater in “Legends Never Die”.
Mission 6. After your first scripted underwater kill, you’ll have two more opportunities to get the remaining five. In the first area, staying stealthy seems more likely to draw enemies into the water. In the second area, sprint to the rear and knife troops in the bottleneck just before the stairs.
Sleeping Beauty (10) Video
Kill sleeping enemy in face down rappel section
Mission 7. During the second rappel section you will come across a sleeping enemy sitting near the window. He is two floors below the first balcony you come to. A single shot should be all you need.
Carbon Faceprint (10) Video
Catch the photocopier with your face.
Mission 7. During the third rappel section an enemy will throw a photocopier at you from above. If you don’t move left or right after starting the rappel, it should hit you.
Burn Baby Burn (25) Video
Destroy 80 fuel containers.
Mission 8. There are a ton of fuel containers scattered across the rooftops and bridges of the oil fields. After clearing out immediate enemies, take your time to strafe the remaining containers. If you’re thorough you should be able to blow up 80 of these before you reach the main island. If not, make sure you complete this before your wing men are able to clear the landing on the north side.
Jungle Ghosts (25) Video
Finish the mission without breaking stealth.
Mission 9. Skirt the left side of the map. You’ll have to make a few stealth kills, either knife in the back or a few quick silenced shots. After regrouping with your squad, be patient and follow the leader. The conditions for the achievement will be failed if an enemy fires a shot or he alerts others before being killed. To be safe, reload the checkpoint if you hear yelling or see laser sights searching.
Deep Freeze (25) Video
Drop 8 vehicles into ice holes.
Mission 10. During your escape at the end of the mission, use the grenade turret to shoot the ice in front of vehicles rather than the vehicles themselves. The vehicles only have to be disabled by the hole, not necessarily sunk into it.
Piece of cake (100) Video
Storm the common room and kill everyone without taking damage on Veteran.
Mission 11, Veteran Difficulty. Try to have a full complement of grenades before entering the living quarters. After the failed breach, throw a fully cooked 9-Bang and sprint into the room, entering the small alcove to the right. Kill the enemies in sight and then proceed to throw grenades into the corners of the room, working your way clockwise. This should clear the room well enough to allow your squad to move up and finish off remainders with your rifle.
Grindin’ (40) Video
Blow the pressure valves on your first attempt.
Mission 11. At the end of the level you will reach the control room, and play a short minigame where you need to keep the pressure steady. Use up and down to keep the bars in the green or yellow. If the bars reach the red, you must restart the entire mission to retry this achievement.
David & Goliath (20) Video
Take down the LCS on the first go.
Mission 12. Part way through the mission you will swim into a lighthouse and guide a missile into the ship’s thermal exhaust port. It’s the large glowing red area on the underside of the ship. This must be achieved on your first try, or the mission will need to be restarted.
Cog in the machine (35) Video
Kill 5 enemies without being detected before infiltrating Black Zone.
Mission 13. You will drop on 1 at the beginning and be directed to knife 2 by the train. 3 will be the one you kill with your squad by the truck, and 4 can be shot as the garage door is opening. (If you’re quick, you can shoot both enemies behind the door). Otherwise, take the right path after going through the gate with your squad and shoot 5 through the office window.
Jack-pot (20) Video
Destroy 21 slot machines.
Mission 14. After hiding in the kitchen you will emerge into a large multilevel area. There are four banks of five slot machines on the right side of the lowest area (before crouching through the grate). There is a final bank of slot machines that can be shot after going through the grate, across the gap before you head down the stairs with your squad.
End of your rope (20) Video
Cut a grappling hook rope with an enemy on it.
Mission 15. After picking up the Osprey targeting controller you will be directed to defend from enemies boarding the carrier. After reaching the waypoint, you should see multiple grappling hooks coming over the side. Approach the ropes and you should get a contextual prompt to cut it. There must be an enemy ascending the rope when it is cut.
Fly-by-wire (20) Video
Take out 3 out of 3 helicopters with the remote missile.
Mission 16. The wording here appears to be misleading. There are more than 3 helicopters in this mission and you can miss without consequence. Never the less, try to get this achievement in the first satellite field you come to. You will be prompted to switch to missiles when the choppers are incoming. You can use RT to manually detonate if you don’t get a direct hit.
They look like ants (20) Video
Destroy all enemy ground targets and kill no allies with the rods.
Mission 17. After some space combat, you will gain control of the rod-targeting computer. You have unlimited shots but a limited amount of time to eliminate all ground enemies. Restart the checkpoint if someone yells at you about getting your shots on target.
Tickets please (20) Video
Shoot the grapple guys off the side of the train.
Mission 18. After engaging the two helicopters on the roof of the train, immediately sprint along the left side, jump to the next car and then onto the center platform – you should arrive in time to see four enemies roping up both sides of the train. Pick a side and quickly shoot those two as they come over the edge so they fall off.
There is a single achievement for Squad’s safeguard mode.
Reach round 20 in Safeguard.
Reaching round 20 doesn’t require much of a time commitment or advanced tactics. Find a good place to set up camp and stick together. Be wary when picking up crates far from your camping spot, and do not revive teammates unless safe to do so. The “Squad Member” killstreak should be saved for an emergency; they can revive you if everyone else is down!
Extinction mode is unlocked by completing the first mission in the campaign, or reaching level 5 in multiplayer.
Extinction is made significantly easier by equipping the right loadout for your team. Point of Contact can be completed handily with a team equipped with Armor, Explosive Ammo, and Automated Turrets. Adding a steady flow of Feral Instincts, Armor Piercing Ammo for the late stages, and augmenting the turrets with an IMS will also help.
- Coordinate with your team who will be supplying what.
- Complete the challenges that appear at the bottom of your screen.
- During barrier hives (at the end of each area) keep fire on the scorpions to keep them on the move, this also prevents them from shooting at you or the chopper.
- Let the classes play to their strengths!
As a side note, many experienced players will back out of lobbies containing low level players. Having a mic and letting the lobby know you’re a team player will help a noob get into a game!
City Dweller (20)
Made it to the city.
Get past the first barrier hive.
Cabin Fever (10)
Make it to the cabin.
Get past the second barrier hive.
Made it Out Alive (20)
Escape 1st time
Complete the final area and make it back to the chopper in the allotted time.
No Man Left (20)
Escape with all four players
After planting a bomb in the final area you will need to run back through the entire map and reach the chopper. Along the way, two meteors will block your path for about 20 seconds. These provide an opportunity to re-group and re-supply during a short defense. Sprint to the next blockage and repeat. Armor up while you wait!
Speed Runner / Sprinter (20)
Reach the exfil chopper with 1 minute and 30 seconds or more remaining on the clock.
If you sprint from meteor to meteor and then immediately continue once it disappears, you should make it to the chopper with minutes to spare. Focus on surviving rather than taking out enemies, drop defenses as you run, and keep your pistol out for added speed. Armor up while you wait!
Complete all Extinction challenges and escape.
Challenges appear after placing the drill at every hive and must be completed before the hive is destroyed. Completing all of them will require a focused and organized team.
- Accuracy challenges: have your team’s marksman fire minimal shots that are certain to hit. Use melee and automated defenses for the rest.
- Gear-specific challenges can pose a problem if your team doesn’t have a wide assortment of weapon types. Be prepared to make a weapon purchase on the fly.
- The “Leper” is slightly larger than the typical scout, and glows red rather than orange. Feral Instincts will also highlight the Leper in red.
- Activating electric fences helps to kill aliens “in the air”. Also try to find high ground and get kills as they leap at you.
Any Means necessary (40)
Get 50 kills with the electric fence and fire traps in a single game.
Utilize the engineer class and keep all the traps running. Refrain from killing enemies prior to them reaching the traps. Try this solo.
Trash Picker (20)
Scavenge 40 items in a single game.
Trash bags and ammo boxes are scattered around the three areas of the map in random but recurring locations. You will be prompted to “search” them when near enough. This achievement will require you to find the majority of items on the entire map, so you’ll have to be thorough. The best time to do this is after drilling the final hive, but before arming the bomb. You will have an unlimited amount of time to skirt the edges of all the areas until the achievement pops. Try this solo.
Throttled Escape (10)
Escape using a relic.
After reaching level 30 in extinction, you will unlock the ability to activate one of five relics. These relics have effects that make the game more difficult for you. Your teammates are not affected and should be able to pick up the slack. Although it may vary depending on your play-style, the “Mortal” relic is likely the easiest one to complete the game with.
Don’t worry about it
These achievements will come naturally with game progress.SHOW
Spatial Awareness (10)
Kill your first enemy in the Call of Duty® Ghosts campaign.
Ghost Stories (5)
Escape. (Complete “Ghost Stories” on any difficulty.)
Brave New World (10)
Rendez-vous in Fort Santa Monica. (Complete “Brave New World” on any difficulty.)
No Man’s Land (10)
Make it to San Diego. (Complete “No Man’s Land” on any difficulty.)
Struck Down (10)
Find Ajax. (Complete “Struck Down” on any difficulty.)
Defend LA. (Complete “Homecoming” on any difficulty.)
Legends Never Die (10)
Hunt down Almagro. (Complete “Legends Never Die” on any difficulty.)
Federation Day (10)
Gather intel on Rorke. (Complete “Federation Day” on any difficulty.)
Birds of Prey (10)
Capture Rorke (Complete “Birds of Prey” on any difficulty.)
The Hunted (25)
Make it out alive (Complete “The Hunted” on any difficulty.)
Hack the system (Complete “Clockwork” on any difficulty.)
Atlas Falls (25)
Distract the Federation Fleet. (Complete “Atlas Falls” on any difficulty.)
Into the Deep (20)
Destroy the enemy ship (Complete “Into The Deep” on any difficulty.)
End of the Line (20)
Storm the factory (Complete “End of the Line” on any difficulty.)
Sin City (20)
Plan your next move. (Complete “Sin City” on any difficulty.)
All or nothing (20)
Gather the troops. (Complete “All or Nothing” on any difficulty.)
Severed Ties (20)
Destroy the Federation’s satellite array. (Complete “Severed Ties” on any difficulty.)
Commandeer the enemy space station. (Complete “Loki” on any difficulty.)
The Ghost Killer (20)
Confront Rorke (Complete “The Ghost Killer” on any difficulty.)